Friday, February 8, 2008

The Defender

"Quote of the Day" from Salon

Former President Bill Clinton, speaking to a reporter from a local NBC affiliate in Maine about his role in his wife Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign so far; he was responding to a question about whether he has any regrets about anything he's said or done:

"Everything I have said has been factually accurate. [Cough up evidence of the voter intimidation in Nevada. Correct mis-statements about "the African-American vote." And, of course, see below.]

"But I think the mistake that I made is to think that I was a spouse like any other spouse who could defend his candidate. I think I can promote Hillary but not defend her because I was president. [What does this sentence mean?] I have to let her defend herself or have someone else defend her. [Have you tried calling The Wolf?]

"But a lot of the things that were said [what and by whom?] were factually inaccurate. I did not ever criticize Senator Obama personally in South Carolina. I never criticized him personally.

"But I think whenever I defend her, I, A, risk being misquoted and, B, risk being the story. I don't want to be the story. [?]

"This is her campaign and her presidency and her decisions. [*Oh really?] And so, even if I win an argument with another candidate, it's not the right thing to do. I need to promote her but not defend her.

"And I learned a very valuable lesson from all that dust-up."

And, finally, have I missed the explanation of what HRC needs to be defended against?? And to humbly contribute to dsbnola's commentary on Hillary's overuse of "I," Bill has a whole 'nother thing going here: if this is about promoting HRC, would it hurt to start a sentence with "Hillary" or "She"? *Grammatically, every reference to HRC here is an OBJECT.

No comments: